Monday, November 23, 2009

Has the church been hijacked or at least distracted?

History is full of all sorts of fads and fashions. Flared jeans, platform shoes, Rubik cubes and many more to mention.

There is one fad that I fear that is taking over the world and importantly taking over our Churches. It is the fear of global warming. This paralysing fear was introduced to the world by an ex politician who coincidently when in power failed to do anything but contribute to this allegedly inconvenient truth.

Now adopted as a fact by politicians and celebrities right around most of the world this fear is beginning to impact the thinking the final bastion of truth - The Church. Yes it would appear that churches are now taking their eye off the ball and what they are called to do and beginning in order to try and be popular and relevant and jump on the ‘world is ending because of global warming’.

This as a Christian I find hard to reconcile. Now don’t get me wrong. I am a big fan of having tanks on houses, using solar power, better light bulbs and picking up our rubbish. I am not a fan of adopting a popularist dogma with little scientific or theological support. I’m all for making wise use of the resources God has given us but I haven’t bought into the world is ending because of what man is doing.

To buy that thinking then you must seriously accept that man completely holds the destiny of this world not God. I don’t. I believe God will end this world when He is ready not when we allegedly destroy it. Doesn’t the Bible talk about Jesus coming back to earth when every tribe and nation has heard the gospel not when the polar ice caps have melted. Also after the flood I thought God was never again going to flood the world.

For me the jury is still out. Am I sceptic? Yes I am especially when the debate is driven by politicians and celebrities – people whose success is driven by popularity not reality.

I’m not sure if we as Christians are being hijacked but at least being distracted from our real purpose on earth – to point people to a relationship with God our Creator who is the master controller of what happens to this planet irrespective of greenhouse gases and Carbon dioxide.

For more info check out Peter Janetski’s Talking Life Show podcast on 96five’s website www.96five.com
Also here is a link to checkout http://www.auscsc.org.au/archive/images/PDF/skepticshandbook.pdf

Worth listening to and a read before Australia heads off to Copenhage

1 comment: